Yay! Everyone party like it's, um, 2009 because it's time for the annual humiliationfest called...
Red Squirrel's Football Prediction Results!
Seeing as this blog is less than a year old, I'm referring to the predictions I posted on my last blog - they can be found here
So, let's see how I did:
1) Manure will win the league IF they buy Dimitar Berbatov (the moody, sulking wanker) from Tottenham.
They did buy him from us, and they did win the league. Score one for Mr. Squirrel :)
If they don't then I feel they will come a very close second to....2) Chelski yet again, though Big Phil will take enough time to adjust to club football again that a small towel will cover Manure, Chelski and...
Well, I did say it would be close! Surprisingly, Liverpool improved more than I was expecting and just pipped Chelski into second place. I was close but I don't think I can claim a point here. Maybe half a point ;-)
3) The Gooner Scum, sadly. Despite having a tiny squad and no defensive depth at all I get the horrible feeling they will come close to winning the league - falling short like an american swimmer only because of a spring injury to one of Fabregas, Gallas or Adebayor.
Arsenal (The Gooner Scum) did much worse than I expected and came a distant 4th, 11 points behind Chelski. Fantastically, Arsenal doing badly makes me happy so I'll joyfully not get a point for this prediction! How many seasons with a trophy is it now? 4? Ouch, that must huuuuuurt :-P
4) Liverpool will cement their traditional 4th and will be some way off 3rd as they learn the hard way that Keane is not the creative striker they need alongside Torres.
Well, as I just wrote, Liverpool finished second and not 4th - but I'm claiming a half point for my Robbie Keane prediction. Not only did it not work out but they sold him back to us a mere six months later - and lost £8m on the deal in the process.
5) I've done it before but I cannot help myself this year either - Spurs to finish 5th, narrowly heading Villa and Everton in 6th and 7th respectively.
Yeah, yeah, whatever. I support Spurs - how can I not make a rash prediction? :)
6) Villa to finish 6th then :)
Spot on! I probably deserve double for that.
7) And amazingly, out of the blue like a diving Messerchmitt hiding in some clouds, Everton to finish 7th.
Uuuuuum, no. But they were battling Villa for the 'best-of-the-rest' award which was what I predicted *clutches straws*
8) Mark Hughes of Manchester City to be the first manager to leave a Premiership club (resigning I feel).
Had Manchester City not been bought by the richest sovereign wealth fund in the world then he might have been. Like, possibly.
9) Stoke, Hull and West Brom all to go straight back down.
I'm not giving myself any points for that. Only one out of three correct! :(
10) No team will set a new record for lowest points ever.
I'll take a point for that though! West Brom finished bottom with a respectable 32 points.
11) Spurs to win the UEFA Cup (aim for the stars and no-one will complain if you reach the moon).
I reached for the stars and barely got above the trees. I think we got knocked out in the last 32 after our new manager decided he didn't like visiting 'foreign places'.
12) The Champion's League will NOT be won by a Premiership team.
Ding! Un point.
13) Alan Curbishley to first complain about injuries in November.
He resigned after a mere three games after expressing concern about the size of his squad. Not sure I can claim anything here.
14) Fat Sam Allardyce to be managing a Premiership club by the end of the season.
Woot woot! He was back at Blackburn before Christmas :)
15) The top scorer in the Premiership will be Darren Bent.
Wow, I got some stick for this one! Darren Bent was not the top scorer in the Premiership - he did however finish a creditable 6th (with 12 goals) despite only starting 21 out of 38 games. I wasn't *that* far off.
16) England will lose at least one World Cup Qualifier before Christmas.
Surprisingly not. Capello turned out to be really quite good at getting slightly dim people to kick a ball in the right direction.
17) I will convert someone with no interest in football into a Spurs fan. It will probably take a lot of bribery but will be worth it in the long run ;-)
I'm claiming a point for Mrs. RS :)
18) An unnamed (at this time) Chelsea player will be - at some point in the season - involved in a major newspaper story involving a teenage lady, a £150,000 car and a family size tub of Banana yoghurt *taps nose knowingly*
The press suppressed this one after legal threats. Honest.
19) Kieron Dyer will last a maximum of 3 games before being injured again.
And indeed he was - in pre-season training. He finally returned to action at the end of the season and made one start. Points galore on this one :)
20) Ledley King will start no more than 12 Premiership games :(
I've not been happier to be wrong! Despite having no knees, Ledley managed a creditable 24 starts in the Premiership. Our win ratio with him in the side = 41%, without him in the side = 24%
I hope someone buys him some new knees before next season.
So, all in all I scored 8 out of 20 this year. Better than normal :)